Wednesday 23 February 2011

day one

Hi just thought I'd start this blog to keep a track of my rehab and to provide info for any other climber/mountaineers that may face this problem.
Now this all started in the summer of 2009. After a successful trip to the alps I ran a half marathon 2 weeks after getting back. A large swelling appeared on the medial (inside) of my left knee.
First diagnosed as bursitis, I had a cortisone injection and it went away. Had a good winter season but still would get swelling after a days climbing.  This was bearable until I went on my stag trip climbing over 5 days. It started to swell through out the joint.
After finally getting to see the consultant he found a cyst and tear in my medial meniscus (cartilage).
Following a successful op in October 2010 I had 40% meniscus left. Rehab flew by and was signed off by my Physio after 3 weeks. I started climbing indoors in December and got away for 4 days ice climbing in January. All seemed fine.
I work as an engineer in a large plastic converters and was lifting out a cylinder when I pivoted with my feet flat on the ground when "pop" in my left knee followed by pain.
Swelling followed in the days to come and i got an MRI which didn't  show anything but my knee was still clicking and locking.

So had an arthroscopy yesterday which found a complex tear through all 3 plains. So more meniscus was removed. If you imagine a horse shoe the bit at the middle I'm down to 20% meniscus in that area but it is still quite thick. If it still gives me problems there are still options of a meniscal implant called actifit or menaflex. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Well at the mo the knee is sore and I had a few painkillers to get to sleep but I've just done my first bit of rehab exercises on it, straight leg lifts 3 sets of ten, which I have to do 3 times a day now its time to watch some TV before the next set.
Wills

No comments:

Post a Comment